Richmond Masonic Lodge
Built for local Masons, the Lodge was open to all for social events. It is also the home of the Richmond Highlands Rainbow for Girls, Job's Daughters, and Order of the Amaranth.
In 1921, the Richmond Masonic Lodge held a meeting to plan establishment of the Richmond Lodge at 185th and Linden Avenue North. The first meeting in that building was held in 1922. In 1943, lodge members serving in the military during World War II were notified that their dues were waived for the war's duration. In 1972, Richmond Masons marked their 50th anniversary and became the sole owner of the lodge after may years of joint ownership with Eastern Star. In 1996, Haller Lake Lodge consolidated with Richmond Lodge to become Richmond-Haller Lake Lodge #248.
Ronald Methodist Church
The congregation built three churches all in Richmond Highlands. The original 1922 church bell rang at 175th; Linden until reinstalled at the Aurora location in 1928 and rededicated in 1970 following the construction of the newest church.
In 1909, The Ronald Methodist Church received 12 adults and 2 young people into its faith; the first church was constructed at N 175th and Linden Avenue North. In 1924, land was purchased on Aurora Avenue N near N 180th to meet the needs of an expanding congregation; new Gothic-style brick church was completed and dedicated in 1925. In 1955, The educational wing containing the chapel, classrooms, social hall, choir room, and offices was constructed. In 1967, the first services were held in third and existing church. In 1999, the Ronald Methodist Church celebrated its 90th anniversary.
A community was started with the creation of a school. Named for Judge James T. Ronald, the school building became the Shoreline Historical Museum in 1976.
In 1906, a one-room grade school was constructed on N 175th site near Linden Avenue North; a second room was added to the Ronald School in 1910. In 1912, at the same location, a two-story brick school replaced the original structure to provide room for the growing student population. In 1926, the building was expanded, adding six rooms to the west. In 1970, the last class graduated; the Ronald School was closed due to funding shortages. In 1976, the Shoreline School District founded the Shoreline Historical Museum at the Ronald School site as a U.S. Bicentennial project.
Richmond Highlands Recreation Center
From two locations, it has served our community. Today, the building is the home of the City of Shoreline's community recreation program.
In 1911, the Women's Richmond Highlands Progressive Club building a community clubhouse, the Richmond Highlands Recreation Center, west of the original Ronald School. In 1919, the Community clubhouse was sold to the school district for expansion of the facility to include a lunchroom/kitchen and auditorium/gymnasium. In 1950, the Greater Richmond Community Club formally organized and collected funds to relocate the facility to N. 167th and Fremont Ave N and renovate the building; Kind County agreed to lease and operate the recreation center. In 1953, The Shoreline School District transferred leased center property to King County in exchange for paving the road in Hamlin Park. In 1997, King County conveyed ownership of the center to the City of Shoreline for public use.
Hertzl Memorial Park
A resting place for loved ones founded by Hertzl Congregation of Seattle. Small stones on or near headstones are visual signs that loved ones have visited.
In 1909, the land was purchased on Dayton Avenue N near N 165th and Carlyle Hall Road for the Herzl Memorial Park. In 1937, L.N. Rosenbaum donated Fani Rosenbaum Chapel to honor his mother; Marcus Priteca, and locally and nationally recognized architect, designed the chapel with a concrete dome and acoustical qualities. Between 1993 and 1999, a chapel addition and other cemetery renovations were completed under direction of the Hertzl Memorial Park Committee, John Cohn, President.
Walking to these historic sites in encouraged. Parking is also available at the Shoreline Historical Museum and at most sites. Please be mindful that some of these landmarks are on private property.
Richmond Highlands Neighborhood Association
16544 Fremont Avenue North